The DTSF Micro-Finance Program was established in 2017 to provide financial support for DTSF’s business members. The program offers loans ranging from $2,500 to $10,000.
Existing downtown businesses that have experienced one or more of the following conditions will be considered for loan funding:
- Experienced loss of revenue due to external circumstances that has negatively impacted business operations.
- Extended hours to 8:00pm for at least five days per week, showing a three-month track record.
- Converted non-retail uses, such as office to retail.
- Expanded the business retail floor area.
- Loans amounts range between $2,500 and $10,000.
- Repayment terms shall be no longer than 24 months.
- Payments are interest free for the first twelve months.
- Interest accrues at the prime rate, as listed in the Wall Street Journal on the day the loan is approved for the second year of the loan.
- Outstanding loan debt beyond the 24 month term will accrue at the prime rate plus 5%.
- Regardless of the prime rate, all interest rates are capped at 12%.
- Applicants must fulfill the terms of the DTSF Micro-Finance Program before becoming eligible to re-apply.
- Businesses with more than 8 FTEs;
- Tobacco shops, or related businesses;
- Off-sale alcohol beverage establishments, as defined in Section 160.005, Code of Ordinances of Sioux Falls, South Dakota;
- Adult uses, as defined in Section 160.005, Code of Ordinances of Sioux Falls, South Dakota;
- Pawn shops;
- Payday loan businesses; or
- Businesses deemed to be predatory or detrimental to the community.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to consult with a SCORE counselor at the Small Business Administration (2329 North Career Avenue #105, 605-330-4243) before submitting an application. Consider addressing the following issues:
- Cost of goods analysis
- Current debt obligations
- Sales history for the last year
- Sales goals (next two years)
- Cash flow projections (next 12 months)
- Marketing strategy
For expanding businesses:
- How will you meet your business’s staffing requirements?
- What do you expect the management implications will be?
- For retail businesses, what is you visual merchandising strategy?
A SCORE counselor will help you determine what further information is needed to vet your business’s capacity for micro-financing. Subsequent steps may include:
- An ongoing mentorship with a SCORE counselor,
- The full development of a business plan,
- Consultations with the small business development center or other like services.
The intent of this process is to perform a strength test on your business concept so that potential pitfalls can be avoided.
The Executive Committee will conduct the initial review of your completed application. Recommendations for approval will be forwarded to the DTSF Board of Directors for a formal decision. Conditions of this program are subject to change, as recommended by the DTSF Board of Directors.
- Review the application to see if your business would qualify.
- Prepare your application.
- Include a letter of recommendation from your account that states the monthly loan payment your business can afford.
- Include a letter of recommendation from a business coach or SCORE councilor, if applicable.
- Submit your completed application materials.
- DTSF’s Executive Committee will review and forward to the Board of Directors for final approval, which meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month.
Questions? Contact DTSF at 605-338-4009 or email@example.com.
Micro-Finance Loan Application