This webinar will discuss key developments over the last year in individual and business taxation. You’ll learn about the IRS’s current areas of focus in examination and appeals of interest to business owners. We will also briefly discuss the impact of the election on the IRS and potential upcoming tax legislation. In addition, we will explore updates and issues stemming from the COVID-19 outbreak and changes to IRS procedures, including limits on information requests and examination enforcement.
- Discuss the impact of new partnership audit rules in the post-TEFRA era, including electing to opt-out or opt-in.
- Explore tax reform challenge and strategies and how the IRS is interpreting the latest strategies.
- Explore the status of IRS exam resources, including an update on the new LB&I campaign.
- Explain the process of an examination and the keys to presenting and protecting your evidence.
- Identify the issues commonly raised by the IRS including conservation easements, captive insurance, reasonable compensation, large losses, material participation, and related party transactions.
- Discuss the IRS Global High Wealth exam team that audits high-wealth taxpayers.
- Analyze the new IRS rules regarding required disclosure of captive insurance.
- Define the IRS issues involving donor-advised funds and IP monetization.
Ben Peeler, J.D., CPA, LL.M., Partner-in-Charge of IRS Tax Controversy Services | Eide Bailly
Ben joined the firm early in 2014 with many years of tax experience, both as an attorney and an accountant. He specializes in federal tax, controversy and procedure work, assisting clients in the areas of income tax, estate and gift tax, property tax, sales and use tax, estate planning and many other tax matters. Ben’s vast experience includes representing clients before the IRS, as well as representing the IRS before the US Tax Court and during litigation before the federal district courts as a special assistant to the United States Attorney. Today, Ben leads the firm’s IRS Practices & Procedures as a federal tax, controversy and procedure specialist and serves on Eide Bailly’s National Tax Office team that is committed to helping clients resolve their tax issues.
Margarita Stone, J.D., LL.M., Senior Manager, Tax Controversy and Procedure | Eide Bailly
Margarita has more than 14 years of tax experience specializing in federal tax, controversy and procedure. She represents clients before the IRS and States in appeals, collection (installment agreements, offer in compromise, levies, and liens) penalty abatement, and audit reconsideration for controversies involving the areas of income tax, employment tax and other various tax matters. Margarita works to negotiate, mediate, and settle with the IRS and other taxing authorities to resolve clients’ tax matters.
Elyse Katz, CPA, Senior Manager | Eide Bailly
Elyse is a former Revenue Agent with the IRS and comes to us with 10 years of experience in IRS Controversy cases. She handled the entire range of income tax audits from large flow-through business entities, captive insurance, employment tax, and individuals for the IRS. She can provide an in-depth understanding of complicated IRS audit issues as well as a diverse understanding of technical tax issues from the IRS perspective.
CPE Credit: 1
Field of Study: Taxes
Level of Knowledge: Basic
Delivery Method: Group-Internet Based
Additional Information: This is a Group-Internet Based Webinar. No prerequisites or advanced preparation required. For information regarding a complaint and/or program cancellation policies, please contact Amy DeGeorge.